Monday, December 26, 2011

The best and worst of 2011

2011 was the year of my discontent. There were things that were absolutely awesome and some things that rocked me to the core. As far as awesomeness goes, my boys got to go on a trip to Hawaii with the HS band and that was absolutely great for them. I watched my youngest son get his black belt in TaeKwonDo. I had the opportunity to taste some really great wines and I put a few bottles in the cellar that I won't touch for probably 15 years, mostly vintage ports that my daughter's boyfriend brought back from Portugal when he went there to visit his relatives. What a thoughtful gift.

On the downside, I am sorry to say that my wife and I are divorcing after 25 years. Its a long story and not for the blog, but regardless it has been extremely hard for me to get my feet back under me after having been knocked on my ass.

Anyway I am looking forward to 2012. I have committed to doing the Tough Mudder endurance race in May, and I will begin training in earnest for that starting the first of the new year. I am putting in some new vines this spring and the promise of a new rebirth in the vineyard is therapy for the rebirth that is going on with me personally.

I rejoice in my children. They are my greatest fans and I theirs. My sons are becoming men and my daughter is now a successful young woman looking to put her mark on the world.

I don't dwell on years past much. I am ready for 2012 if I make it because a man far wiser than me once told me that its important to live for the day. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.

I think I will go down to the cellar now and see if I can find a wine to suit some
Christmas leftovers for dinner tonite.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce, Danny, but I have a feeling that you'll be just fine. Of course, it won't be immediate, but good things will happen. Hang tough, my friend.

    Doug's been talking about doing the Warrior Dash, which sounds similar to the Tough Mudder. Of course he wants me to join him, but we'll see about that!

    Next week at this time, we'll be in CA tasting our butts off. I'm looking forward to it! I'm also curious as to what wine you'll have tonight....

    ReplyDelete